Wednesday, January 12, 2011

How did we get to this?

Here's the scenario-

MUA: So, tell me a little about what you'd like your wedding makeup to look like.
Client: Well, I don't what to look like a clown.

(Really? Ya don't say!)

MUA:
'I have no intention of making you look like a clown. Tell me about makeup's role in your life.' ***If you are in a MUA's chair who does not ask you a question like that- get up and get out, fast!***

Why? Because I normally get one of two general responses-
Client 1. I don't wear much. Maybe some mineral powder and mascara. Liner if I'm going out.
Client 2. I love makeup. I wear a full face every day and when I go out, I add lots of liner, and mascara. Oh and I love blush.

If I proceed to do an evening look that Client 2 would love, on Client 1....well, let's put it this way- I won't have Client 1 as a client any longer. Basically the answer this question gives me is the individual's definition of 'Clown.'

***If the MUA asked this question and still made you look like a clown, chances are they don't know what they're doing.*** Just saying.

But honestly, almost everyone who sits in my chair can relate a horror-story experience about having their makeup done by someone who clearly didn't listen to them, or think twice about who they are. Whether they didn't care, didn't know how to listen, or just plain doesn't know how to do makeup- well, it doesn't really matter. A tragedy is a tragedy.


Here's some pointers on how to make sure the MUA and you are on the same page:
1. Most importantly- get yourself a good makeup artist. Don't go to the mall and expect to get anything but product. Are there talented MUA's at the mall- yes. Should you assume they're talented?- Absolutly not. Best method- Ask friends or use Google and look at their pictures.
2. Know what you wear on an every day basis, and what you do to 'bump it up' for evening. (This shouldn't be hard considering you do it every day)
2. Know what your 'vision' is for you makeup on the occasion that you are getting it done. Do you want to achieve a different look? Do you want your normal look, just executed professionally?
3. Bring pictures. Magazines, online, anywhere. Look for people who have similar features- hair color, skin color, age.
*A note about photographs: If it looks too go to be true, it probably is- thanks to Photoshop. Remember to keep your expectation reasonable.
4. Think about adjectives that you would want people to say about you when you are wearing the look. ie: Pretty, flirty, romantic. vs. Sultry, sexy, gorgeous.

No comments:

Post a Comment